Saturday, May 18, 2019

Scan, scans and more scans

I went into work on the Monday two days after my positive test. I told Irish Emma. She cried. Tuesday was our day off so we went to the hospital just to make sure everything was ok. I was a nervous wreck. I'd been around so many chemicals, been in wine tanks and pressers and carried heavy hoses. We got to the reception and I explained. I had to give my address which was of course the hostel. I was there with my girl friend and right away I thought they are judging me. (you should never judge or assume). I waited and waited. I was seen by a doctor and he had a feel of my tummy and I did another pregnancy test. I went back into the waiting room and a lovely lady come and give me heaps of cups filled with water. I drank them all. Emma had to leave but managed to get back for my scan. I was greeted by a very large lady who was very abrupt. Smart. We went into the scanning room and she told me to go and put a gown on in the bathroom. I lay on the bed and she put the gel on and started scanning over my tummy. My bladder was too full so I had to go and empty some. SOME! HOW. My full wee fell out. I got back on the bed and she tried again. "It's not very clear so we'll have to do an internal scan" Ok cool. She handed me the scan probe (just had to Google that) and said "Right well you put it in and then I'll take over" Was this some kind of sick joke. She wasn't joking. She then also told Emma off for having her phone by her head (she had her head in her hand whilst leaning on the back of the chair ) "I don't know what you're doing!! You could be recording this for all I know" She was just getting even more vil. She finished off and told me I have a shadow on my ovary which could be a cyst. She then said "Well by the measurements you're four and a half weeks. I can't detect a heartbeat so I don't know if it's dead or alive" Well. Say no more. I said never judge but I'm sure you'll all judging this woman. She stood up and said "Just leave when you're done".  As she left the room she said "I suppose its a congratulations" I said "It is actually! I have a partner back in Sydney" She just carried on walking out the door.
So that was not a nice experience in my pregnancy.
I went back to Sydney for my Birthday. I was advised by that woman to make an appointment for when I was 6weeks so this fell at a good time. Paul could come along๐Ÿ˜ We went to the appointment. I lay there nervously as Paul sat at the end of the bed. It was a man this time. He was lovely and made me feel at ease. I heard a sound. "Can you hear that?" he said "Thats your babies heartbeat" We both burst into tears. What a relief. It was the most beautiful sound. Since that day Paul always called our baby his little heartbeat, and still does now. He told us everything was fine and to wait in the waiting groom for our scan pictures. We paid the $250 (health care is soooooooo expensive in Australia. The NHS is our saviour over here) and waited. The receptionist told us that my results would be ready in a few days. I'd be back in Griffith so Paul would have to pick them up. I was a bit confused cause he said everything was fine. Paul sent me a copy to my phone. It said the placenta wasn't attached to where it should be and there was a risk of hemorrhage. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I made another appointment in Griffith and Emma came to that with me. I told the sonographer about my last results. She was very annoyed as everything was perfect. "I don't know why they have said that to you. You have a perfect healthy baby. Now go and enjoy" I said "I just worry all the time" She replied laughing with "That worry never ends" (she wasn't wrong). I felt a lot better now and went back to work.
When I went back to Sydney I had a 13 and a half week scan. Well that was just amazing! There was a fully grown tiny baby in there. She couldn't get many good photos as the little monkey was waving arms and legs all over. Having a full on party! It reminded me of the funny bones dance. When I first went in baby wouldn't perform so the lovely lady said go into the waiting room and have a hot cup of tea then a cold drink of water to shock it. She finally seen baby. She called it her and I said "Ohh can you tell the sex already?" She said "No I just don't like calling a baby it" Made sense. She also called baby Pineapple and thats stuck ever since.


After the scan we went for pizza. This was on the toilet door. Our baby did look like an Alien.

1 comment: