Saturday, June 22, 2019

The Airport........ Round 1.

The night of the 27/01/2019 was our last night as a three. The pain I was feeling for Paul was unbearable. Me and Paul done the night time routine with Milla. We put her in her cot and we both just stood staring at her, hugging each other in floods of tears. "We're going to be ok" I said. "I know" Paul sobbed. We went and collected a Chinese Takeaway from Oriental Garden in Whitehaven. The best Chinese around. We sat at the table with my Mam and Dad and chatted away with lots of silences. "This doesn't feel right this" My Dad said. "Cause it's not" I replied. This shouldn't be happening. How dare they split our family up. I was so so angry and still am. More disappointed then angry. We went to bed that night knowing when we woke up that was it. Was it just for weeks, was it for months. No idea. The not knowing was the worst part. Not having a date to look forward too was torture. That morning was very quiet. Milla came into our bed for cuddles. Paul couldn't take his eyes off her. Bawling his eyes out. This is so so wrong. Thats all that kept going through my head. So so wrong. It was heart breaking. We can do this! Although we had all this pain we had to stay strong and most of all stay positive. Paul was all packed. That morning all all a blur now but we made our way down to Cheshire. We waited at my Grandma's as his flight wasn't until 7.10pm and it was a 15 minute drive from here to the airport. I just didn't want that time to come. It was getting closer and closer. I kept looking at him. He couldn't look me in the eye.
Off we went. Saying goodbye to my Grandma was all a blur now too. He was very fond of her as she was him. We got parked at the airport and made our way to the terminal. He was flying with Etihad and I booked the flight through Budget Air online through Sky Scanner. £899 it cost then the hidden added extras, THEN I had to book his seats through the Etihad website. £54. So in the end it cost nearly £1,000. We one t a get in the cue. It was busy. Milla on my front in a carrier. A worker said I couldn't wait with him so I went and stood at the side with Mam and Dad. If only that guy knew that our time together was so so precious. He cued for an hour. There was 8 check-ins and only 4 open. They were so so slow. 6pm. He was still in that cue. This was a long haul flight. No fish here it seemed. He finally made it to check in. And was there a further hour. We were all panicking. No one came to tell us what was going on. I managed to catch his eye. "What's going on?" I mouthed. "Can I come over?" "Your not allowed" he said. My Dad being my Dad, "Fuck this" and off he went. Then off I went. My Dad explained that he was his Father in-law. The girl behind check in had said Paul wasn't allowed his family to come over when he asked if his family could come over. How ridiculous! I went and spoke to her. How I kept my cool I don't know. "I'm trying to get him a Transit Visa" she said. "What's a Transit Visa?" I replied. "Because his stopover in Sydney is over 8 hours he needs a transit visa. Don't worry we'll get it sorted" "I've never heard of a transit visa" I said. "Neither have I" She said frantically making calls. There was a guy (I'm assuming her manager) who tried to whisper but clearly couldn't as I heard him say "Come on now. Leave this. There's other people who need checked in" How dare he!! Then another woman came over. Asking the girl who was dealing with us questions about other passengers. All three of the check in desks were hounding this poor girl. She was so apologetic towards us. The others were so so rude. Couldn't have cared less about us. She called Queensland to get Paul a Transit Visa but they said it was too late. It was now 6.50pm and his flight left in 20minutes. She asked me if I could go online and find him another flight from Sydney to Tonga. I said 1, I haven't got the money and 2, if there was a flight without an 11hour stop over they would have sold me that in the first place. I was shaking. Holding my baby girl. It felt like I was in a film. You see this stuff happening to people on telly and now this was a reality for us. "So he can't get on this flight?" I said. The airport like a ghost town. "No" "His visa end in 6days!" "Sorry there's nothing we can do" The other woman replied.  I wanted to scream at her! NOTHING YOU CAN DO. YOU'VE DONE FUCK ALL ANYWAYS! YOU'RE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS APPALLING AND I WON'T BE RECOMMENDING YOU TO ANYBODY! But I kept my cool. "I've paid for his seats can I have my money back please?" "Sorry we don't deal with that side. You'd have to call them up. Did you book the flight through the Etihad website" "No, Budget Air" "No you'd have to call Etihad" I walked away as my Dad stood explaining everything. "The poor lad doesn't want to go but unfortunately he has to because our country has rules. His visa ends in 6days. What are we supposed to do now!" I'm sorry" she kept saying. She wasn't sorry at all. She just couldn't be arsed. A transit visa though. Have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous in your life! Whats the point in one of them! You can't leave the airport anyways. Anyone could tell you that. I felt numb and couldn't believe what had just happened. I felt like I was in a dream. We got back in the car and headed home. My phone started going mental with messages. "Did he get a way alright?" "Are you ok" Now I had to explain to everyone. What a nightmare. A positive comes out of every negative I believe and my positive was we got to spend another few days togetherđź’“

Screw you Monday!




No comments:

Post a Comment